Tuesday, May 26, 2009

The jazz styling's of Jessica G. and a photo lark with Mr.Hill

Last Friday evening I had the pleasure of covering Jessica G at the Bo cafe in Dobbs Ferry, NY. Jessica is a highly trained pianist/singer/songwriter and I must add was amazing to hear and photograph live.


Ms G's music is a wonderful blend of jazz and folk. Covers of James Taylor, Carol King, Jim Croce as well as some old standards that were reminiscent of an easier time. Her originals easily fit within the feel of the whole set and staged a certain warmth to her performance.

Her sultry but subtle voice was intoxicating and her whimsical nature was enough to make me a fan immediately. Be sure to look out for this gal....she will be big! You must check out her site for future dates....I promise it will be well worth it.

http://www.myspace.com/jessicagny




So after I said my farewells to Jessica, it dawned on me that my buddy Matt lives right around the corner. After a brief phone call, I was on my way for a visit. I always dig hanging with Matt. Our conversations are always interesting. We talked mostly about Art and Photography but kept it light as guys do. The conversation turned to shooting at night(which I must add Mr. Hill is a master of) and before we knew it we were off.....



Matt has the luck of living about a block away from the Hudson...plenty of photo ops! While Matt was exploring the river getting some phenominal images which I will post when I know where they are, I seemed drawn to Hudson River line.



This shot was cool to me for more than one reason. I obviously dug the whole aesthetics of it but I also was using quite the cumbersome wooden tripod(I was unprepared and Matt had to lend me his back up). I actually had to rest this hulk on my chest to obtain this shot. It also gave me incentive to come back with a model to this site....I think it would lend an intense urban feel. Gotta remember this spot.




This was just a stairwell leading down to the station that drew me in immediately. This was also the last shot I took as we were walking back up to Matts flat....just kinda thought it was cool. In fact I think this whole evening was a bit of a reminder of how things used to be. The music and what I was shooting really did bring me back to a simpler time....Thanks both to Jessica G. and Mr. Hill for a great evening.



No comments:

Post a Comment